Social media image sizes have a significant effect on the level of engagement you get from your visual content. Here is a useful infographic to guide you in choosing the right sizes for your images and videos.
Perfecting your profile images
The first place to consider the social media image sizes to use is in your profile images. It is important to get these right as they are often displayed very small. Even being off by a little could result in the images being indecipherable.
YouTube lets users upload 800 x 800-pixel profile images. They are then displayed at 98 x 98 pixels as your channel icon on your homepage, as seen below, and much smaller in other places.
Both LinkedIn and Twitter have profile image sizes sized at 400 x 400 pixels. Since these images are displayed inside a circular border, make sure to use a properly centered image. Follow these useful guides for choosing suitable images for your LinkedIn and Twitter profiles.
Pinterest has a small allowed profile image size at just 165 x 165 pixels. If you optimize it properly it is still enough to help people easily recognize your profile picture.
Creating the right banner image sizes
Here are three of the required banner image sizes for some of the popular social media platforms:
- YouTube: 2560 x 1440 pixels
- Twitter: 1500 x 500 pixels
- LinkedIn personal pages: 1584 x 396 pixels
- LinkedIn business pages: 1536 x 768 pixels
Since banner images are an essential part of your social media profile’s visual identity, you don’t want to overlook them.
Check out the infographic below for the required social media image sizes on other platforms. Below infographic you’ll see more guidance from us on how to create the best possible images.
Infographic prepared by Make A Website Hub
Social media image sizes for Instagram
The site lets users upload photos in three different sizes:
- Square photos: 1080 x 1080 pixels, scaled down to 612 x 612 pixels and appears on feeds as 510 x 510-pixel images.
- Portrait image: 1080 x 1350 pixels, scaled down to 600 x 749 pixels.
- Landscape images: 1080 by 566 pixels, users can also upload 600 x 400-pixel images.
Take note of the size changes during upload to ensure that image quality is maintained when the image is displayed.
. . . . . . #fujifilm #xpro2 #fujifilm_northamerica #fujifilmglobal #fujifeed #fujiframez #landscape #vsco #livefolk #theoutbound #modernoutdoors #folkscenery #createexplore #newtopographics #freshairclub #somewheremagazine #lensculture #ifyouleave #stayandwander #wizardsoftones #lookslikefilm #oftheafternoon #subjectivelyobjective #myfeatureshoot #oldtonecollective #organicamagazine #la_minimal #weltraumzine #moodygrams #portbox
Social media image sizes for Twitter
Twitter has a number of different considerations:
- The minimum size for a tweeted image is 440 x 220 pixels.
- The maximum is 1024 x 512 pixels.
- Maximum file size is 5 MB for photos and 3 MB for animated GIFs.
All images are displayed as a 506 x 253 image in-stream, regardless of size.
Social media image sizes for Pinterest
Pinned images are required to have a minimum width of 600 pixels. The site has no requirements for image height, making taller images favorable for increased engagements.
These images are scaled down to 236 pixels wide when displayed on search results with the heights scaled proportionally.
Recommended video resolutions
The infographic also provided the recommended resolutions for videos uploaded on two different platforms:
- YouTube: Uploaded videos need to be 1280 x 720 pixels to be classified as full HD videos. These also need to have a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Instagram Stories: 750 x 1334 pixels. The maximum duration of a Stories video is 10 seconds.
Having the right social media image sizes makes your visual content more noticeable and appealing to your audience, increasing engagements. Use this infographic as a reference when developing your visual social media content strategy to better capture your audience’s interest.