While Pinterest’s video autoplay function on mobile has been a boon for marketers, it can be an annoyance to users. Luckily, the platform gives users an easy way to turn the feature off. Not only can you turn off auto play videos, saving you mobile data, but you can also turn off advertisements from certain users.
Turning off autoplay and blocking advertisers.
All of that you need to do to quickly turn off the autoplay function on the Pinterest app is:
- Tap on the profile icon on the bottom right of the screen.
- Open the Settings panel (the nut icon).
- Tap Edit Settings and scroll down to the “Autoplay on Mobile” option.
- Toggle the button to turn the option off.
This stops videos from automatically playing when you are using a mobile data connection. The option is great not only for preventing unwanted playback, but also for saving on your mobile data.
Note that this does not stop autoplay when you are connected to a Wifi network. The feature also defaults back to “On” when you remove and reinstall the Pinterest app. You need to repeat the process to turn it off again.
Save mobile data on Pinterest: Stopping advertisers
If your news feed still shows promoted videos from advertisers you are not interested in, the next recourse is to simply block them. To do this:
- Go to the Promoted content of the advertiser you want to block. Tap on their username to go to their profile.
- Once you are on the profile, tap the flag icon that appears on the top-left of the screen.
- Choose the Block option to block the specific profile. If you want to unblock them later, just repeat the steps and choose Unblock.
Pinterest lets users block up to 1,000 profiles. If you exceed the number, the app will show the content from blocked advertisers again. If you want to block more than 1000 people, perhaps the problem is you being on the platform.
How marketers deal with this
Stopping autoplay and blocking advertisers is a great way for Pinterest users to declutter their news feeds and save mobile data. This inevitably strikes on brands’ hopes of attracting the audience’s attention with their Pinterest videos.
Unsurprisingly, there is no way around it other than making sure that your audience would want to watch your Pinterest videos. By creating video pins that truly capture your audience’s interest, you lessen the likelihood of them ignoring or blocking your content.
Using services like Devumi’s Repins and Likes Service to boost your video pin’s prominence works well in increasing the curiosity of users, causing them to feel better about the video. This makes it so they will not want to turn off autoplay, saving you from being ignored… Or worse; blocked.