Twitter has long been proven to be an effective tool to market businesses. Marketers are finding that the platform can be used to directly generate income. Read on to learn about some of the strategies that can help you make money with Twitter, and how you can increase the effectiveness of your own tweet monetizations methods.
Selling products on Twitter
The most common way that you can monetize Twitter is by selling your products directly.
— Samsung Mobile US (@SamsungMobileUS) March 29, 2017
Samsung does this above with a direct link. Let’s look at how you can effectively tweet out your products in the most effective ways possible.
Creating an effective product tweet
The first thing you need to do when offering your products for sale on Twitter is create a product tweet. Simply tweeting your products won’t be enough to get people clicking. You need to have a good call to action to accompany it. This tweet from woodcrafts manufacturer, and occasional actor, Nick Offerman uses an amusing call to action:
— Nick Offerman (@Nick_Offerman) March 7, 2017
While this call to action is rather blunt, it just so happens that blunt calls to action works the best on Twitter. You only have 140 characters, you have to get to the point.
Avoiding a hard sell
Flooding your followers’ news feeds with constant product tweets is never a good idea. Avoid annoying your audience and instead use contests and giveaways. These are very popular on Twitter as they add to the value of paying attention to your tweets.
There are many ways that you can hand this. For instance, bundling them with your products as part of a special offer will help increase sales. Or, you can simply give them out separately as a means to promote your product. Here is an example from Guerilla Games:
— Guerrilla Games (@Guerrilla) December 12, 2016
Another nifty trick to attract more buyers without looking like a hard sell is by offering discount coupons. Creating these discount coupons is very easy using third-party platforms like TwtQpon. This tool allows you to create coupons that you can use for different types of deals. Once live, the discount coupons appear on your followers’ feeds, alerting them to new deals.
Reaching out to and interacting with your Twitter customers
One of the challenges with running a Twitter store is that there is a lot of competition on the platform. Your product posts can end up being buried under the hundreds of other sellers’ product tweets. Automated engagements can help you stand out from the others and get the attention of customers more.
When using this service, there are a few things to help you maximize your investment:
- Run a quick search for your product on Twitter to see who’s talking about it.
- Find particular tweets where the Twitter user is looking for your product and respond to them.
- Keep in mind that, just like in real life, people hate annoying salespeople. Present yourself and your product in a helpful manner.
- Take the opportunity to further your conversation and ask them what else they might need.
Properly interacting with customers who visit your Twitter store is also important. Think of them as people coming to your physical store’s counter. Strike up a conversation to make them feel more comfortable as they browse your products. Assist them, should they have questions. The Xbox customer support team does it this way for gamers needing assistance.
@XboxSupport visited this support before and reached the content cache solution but lost the info on how to before i attempt it. ready now
— Kona Alway (@Kona570) March 7, 2013
Using Twitter for affiliate marketing
Affiliate marketing is a method of monetization in which you promote other people’s products using your own tweets. You get a percentage of the sales which result from your tweets.
Choosing the right products for affiliate marketing
The most important part of successfully harnessing your Twitter account for affiliate marketing is to have the right product to promote. Relevancy is key here. Consider what your account is all about or what topics you tackle the most. Can you smell the affiliate marketing in the link in this tweet?
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) April 11, 2017
From there, you can begin choosing what brands and products to promote. But don’t take on too many as you will end up getting distracted whatever the main purpose of your Twitter account is. Instead, choose the best sellers in your chosen niche. Remember that your followers are not there to be advertised to, they’re there to get useful information. Find affiliate products that will be useful to them.
Getting people to make purchases
Once you have a list of products ready, it’s time to do the promotions. Remember that making money with Twitter through affiliate marketing comes down to sending clicks to someone’s website.
This is where the power of your personal recommendations come into play. If people see that you are posting about a certain product on your tweets, they are more likely to think of it as you personally endorsing these products. When these products are directly related to what you normally tweet about it gives it more credence. A cooking show offering food advice is a no-brainer.
— Inspiring Kitchen (@KitchnWhisperer) April 17, 2017
And since you are presenting these affiliate products as your own recommendations, it would work better if your promotional tweets reflect that. Instead of generic marketing tweets asking readers to click and buy a product, spend some time to write a personal comment about the product. Use a photo of yourself using the product and tweet that out.
Spreading the world about your affiliates
Another form of affiliate marketing is called sponsored tweets. Sponsored tweets are ads that are sent out by users on the behalf of brands they are affiliated with. The main difference is you’re being paid for the ad space and not for clicks. Celebrities like the Kardashian sisters have gained a lot from this feature due to their own large following on Twitter.
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) April 7, 2017
The idea is to team up with the brands that you are affiliated with to send out these tweets alongside your regular affiliate promotions tweet. Do note that you need to space out these sponsored tweets to not look like your account has turned into an online ad space.
Holding contests for local brands
If you already have a sizable following, a good way to harness that and make money with Twitter is by becoming a contest master for local brands. Many of these brands are often looking for increased publicity to boost promotions. You earn based on the number of followers you get to join the contest.
Creating the contest
The first step is you and the brand need to agree on a clear goal for the contest. Do you want to generate direct sales from it, or do you simply want to collect signups for its email lists? These goals will help you decide on the kind of contest you want to do:
- Sweepstakes: These are great for driving traffic to a specific landing page on your affiliate’s website.
- Retweet and follow raffles: This type is a good choice if the brand is looking to extend its reach to new followers.
- Q&A contests: In this one, you simply ask your followers to perform a task (such as captioning a picture), choosing the best among the entries.
- Hashtag contests: This type of contest is not only great for driving engagement but also for crowdsourcing new ideas for the brand.
- Flock to unlock events: These work by promoting a special deal that can be unlocked only when the post reaches a certain amount of retweets or replies. This works for both raising brand awareness and increasing traffic.
The prizes that you will be giving away are also important considerations. You want something that will both entice people to join and help generate further engagement from them after the contest. The prize should be relevant to the business. For instance, game review websites like Game 2 Gamer.com, regularly offer exclusive game content as prizes for their contests.
— Game 2 Gamer (@Game_2_Gamer) April 15, 2017
This is highly relevant to their audience.
Running the contest
Once you have planned out and prepared the contest, it’s time to get the word out. Here are a few quick tips when doing the promotions for the contest.
- Include an image or visual to attract the attention: This could either be a picture of the product, or an infographic of the contest mechanics.
- Be clear about the T&Cs: Avoid potential confusion by clarifying things like eligibility and the nature of the prizes you are offering.
- Have a clear call to action: Mention the major prizes you offer in the call to action to further hype them to join.
- Announce the winners as soon as possible: The announcement should preferably be made just a few days after the end of the contest. The announcement date should be clearly stated in the contest mechanics.
By following these suggestions, you will be able to run the contest more successfully. Here is an example to follow:
— ISM Vision (@ISM_NETWORKS) April 8, 2017
As is with any other promotional effort, measuring the results of the contest is important. This will, after all, determine how much commission you earn. The metrics you choose will depend on the goals that you set for the contest. Once you have assessed the results, prepare a detailed report for the brand to evaluate and determine your commission.
Crowdsourcing your ideas for funding
All of the above methods of making money with Twitter are commonly used to generate direct profits. But if you are looking to start up a new business and in need of additional funding, Twitter can also be used to attract investors through crowdsourcing.
Building initial support for your ideas
When presenting your proposal to the Twitter community, be sure to clearly state the purpose of your project as well as your exact request. Since this is Twitter, being as concise as possible is important.
If you want to provide more information than can be fitted into 140 characters, take advantage of multimedia like images and videos. The United Nations Refugee Agency and H&M Foundation, for instance, uses such a tactic to attract donor attention for their campaigns.
— UN Refugee Agency (@Refugees) December 11, 2016
Having a well-established offline component also helps in pushing your Twitter campaign. Fundraisers are more likely to succeed if you and your donors are able to meet face to face.
Increasing your Twitter monetization strategy’s success
The above four methods are just some of the different ways to make money with Twitter. To get the most out of these, here are the tips you need to follow:
- Take advantage of Twitter cards: Twitter cards are special types of tweets that let you highlight content. Use these to draw more attention to the products or services that you are offering.
- Don’t be stuck with the 140 characters you have: Use various types of media content, such as images and videos, to better present your offer. Take advantage of these to create further engagement with your audience.
- Engage your audience outside of transactions: To create customer retention, don’t be on Twitter just to sell your wares. Be there to assist them and answer their questions.
- Get the most out of automated retweets: Reaching out to as many people as possible is essential when making money with Twitter. Purchased retweets can help you expand your coverage and get the attention of more potential customers.
- Moderate the number of tweets you sent out: Don’t make your followers feel like they are being spammed.
By doing these tips, you will be able to better sustain your chosen Twitter monetization strategy and generate more income.
Make money with Twitter in just 140 characters
As you have learned, there are many ways to make money with Twitter. The most popular of these are:
- Sell products: Create your own store directly on Twitter or use it to drive people to your online store.
- Be an affiliate: If you are not comfortable selling your own product, you can promote others instead. You will be surprised at how much you can earn here.
- Hold contests for local brands: Help out the local community of businesses to get more publicity and they will be more than willing to help you earn money.
- Ask funding from the public: If you have an idea that you believe will be beneficial to the public, go on Twitter and ask them for help in funding it. They will be more than willing to throw in support.
Choose carefully which of these to pursue to ensure successful execution. We are waiting to do business with you on Twitter.